Don't Get Lost in the Top 10 Largest College Libraries
I go to the University of Oklahoma and we have a big library! When you combine all eight of our libraries on campus, we have slightly under five million books. I have gotten lost in the main library, Bizzell Library, on way more than one occasion. Usually, I won’t even venture into the library unless I have a friend to go with me or a map to guide me to my location. I know it seems pathetic, but unfortunately, I am being completely serious.
Imagine my surprise when I found that the University of Oklahoma was not in the Top 10 Largest College Libraries. It’s not even in the Top 25. Personally, I’m terrified of what I’m about to show you, but…
I now present, for your viewing pleasure, a list of the Top 10 Largest College Libraries in the USA, complete with how many books they have in their collection.
1. Harvard University: 15,826,570 (Cambridge, MA)
2. Yale University: 12,368,757 (New Haven, CT)
3. University of Toronto: 10,536,868 (Toronto, ON)
4. University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign: 10,524,935 (Champaign, IL)
5. University of California – Berkeley: 10,094,417 (Berkeley, CA)
6. Columbia University: 9,455,312 (New York, NY)
7. University of Texas – Austin: 9,022,363 (Austin, TX)
8. University of Michigan – Ann Arbor: 8,273,050 (Ann Arbor, MI)
9. University of California – Los Angeles: 8,157,182 (Los Angeles, CA)
10. University of Wisconsin – Madison: 8,015,081 (Madison, WI)
A few quick words of advice: If you ever do venture into these GIANT libraries, take a GPS location device with you so you can find your way out. Some might say leave behind a trail of bread crumbs, but I think those bread crumbs might decay before you find your way out of these libraries. Also, if you are afraid of heights, I wouldn’t recommend these libraries. You might have to climb pretty high to find the book you are looking for. Happy Reading and Researching!