Keeping the Peace with Parents Before College
While counting down the days until college, living under their roof can become super-stressful for both you and your parents. You may be nervous (normal) or ripe-and-ready to spread your wings, or maybe a bit of both. Meanwhile, your parents are equally nervous with the overwhelming urge to rein you in. It’s a touchy place, and bickering can turn this bittersweet time into just plain bitter. Plus, a rocky relationship with the ‘rents can make your transition to school, and school breaks thereafter, really freakin’ miserable.
To avoid turning your childhood home into a war zone, try these five ways to tame the tension and keep the peace:
- Respect their rules – promise to follow them and follow through
- Negotiate if needed – prove your older and more mature and can handle a later curfew at the very least
- Lend a hand – pick up some extra responsibility around the house
- Make suppertime civil – before long, you’re really going to miss this evening ritual of family fun
- Giving up the grudge – make sure all the rough patches are smoothed before leaving home
Read on to get more advice on how to have a positive student-parent relationship.