National PTA Gives Grants to 22 Schools to Fight Childhood Obesity
Parent Teacher Associations across the country are being awarded live-healthy grants in honor of this year’s National PTA’s Healthy Lifestyle Month in November.
National PTA President, Charles J. “Chuck” Saylors announced, “It’s no secret that we have a childhood obesity epidemic in this country. Statistics show that over the past three decades, childhood obesity rates in America have tripled and nearly one in three American children is overweight or obese. So, we’re proud of all the PTAs across the country who are taking the initiative to keep our kids healthy.”
We are too, Chuck. It’s time for everyone to stop complaining and talk about possible solutions. It’s time to take charge and fix this problem. We have to remember that obesity is nearly 100 percent preventable.
The purpose of this grant is to promote healthy lifestyles through good nutrition and physical activities. Research has shown that the health of our children significantly effects their over-all happiness and success in life. The PTA Healthy Lifestyles Grant Program is working to increase the awareness of that. They are engaging families and students across the country to provide healthier meal options and active lifestyle opportunities.
Parent Teacher Associations throughout the nation were given the opportunity to submit grant proposals. Their mission was to dictate a plan that would motivate families toward a healthy and active lifestyle. Nutrition classes and community gardens were among the many activities being coordinated.
After reviewing the grant proposals, The National PTA has announced that the following PTAs will receive up to $1,000 in grants:
- Arroyo High School PTSA; El Monte, California
- Barcroft Elementary PTA; Arlington, Virginia
- Broadmor Elementary PTA; Tempe, Arizona
- Comanche Elementary PTA; Overland Park, Kansas
- El Marina Language School PTA; Culver City, California
- Hopkins Road Elementary PTA; Richmond, Virginia
- Huy Elementary PTA; Columbus, Ohio
- John R. Beatty PTA; Las Vegas, Nevada
- Kennedy Elementary PTA; Fargo, North Dakota
- Lowell PTA; Missoula Montana
- Luther Jones PTA; Corpus Christi, Texas
- Mableton Elementary PTA; Mableton, Georgia
- MacArthur Academy PTA; Southfield Michigan
- Madrona PTSA Seattle Council; Seattle, Washington
- Martin Elementary School PTA; Parkersburg, West Virginia
- Meadowvale Elementary PTA; Havre De Grave, Maryland
- Miami Lakes K-8 PTSA; Miami Lakes, Florida
- Michigamme Elementary PTA; Port Huron, Michigan
- Pine Forest PTA; Jacksonville, Florida
- Potterville Public Schools; Potterville Michigan
- Price Elementary PTA; Louisville, Kentucky
- Tesuque Elementary PTA; Tesuque, New Mexico
The National PTA is a group of parents, teachers, students, families and community leaders. Membership is open to anyone who wants to dedicate their time and resources to the success of our children.