Top Fraternities of 2010
The fraternity culture in a year end review has been the source of numerous news stories. From the TBS premiering of the new fraternity inspired show Glory Daze to the anti-hazing Twitter campaign initiated by Sigma Nu. It seems that because of these headlines and many more, fraternities were heavily trafficked for online news and information. Here is a list of the most popular fraternities of 2010 based on website traffic:
1. Kappa Sigma: Kappa Sigma, also commonly referred to as Kappa Sig, was founded in 1869 at the University of Virginia. The founding fathers of Kappa Sig started the fraternity based on the traditions of the ancient order of Bologna, Italy and its colors are scarlet, white and emerald green.
2. Sigma Chi: Founded in 1855 on the campus of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, the two official philanthropies for the Sigma Chi fraternity are the Children’s Miracle Network and the Huntsman Cancer Institute.
3. Alpha Phi Alpha: Founded in 1906 on the campus of Cornell University and its colors are black and old gold. Its official philanthropies are the March of Dimes, Head Start, Boy Scouts of America and Big Brothers Big Sisters of America.
4. Pi Kappa Alpha: Pi Kappa Alpha members, also commonly known as Pike, was founded in 1868 on the campus of the University of Virginia.
5. Lambda Chi Alpha: Founded in 1909 at Boston University, Lambda Chi Alpha is commonly known as Lambda Chi. Colors for Lambda Chi Alpha are purple, green and gold, the symbols are the cross and the crescent and its flower is a white rose.
6. Sigma Alpha Epsilon: Commonly also known as SAE, Sigma Alpha Epsilon was founded in 1856 at the University of Alabama. The official philanthropy of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is the Children’s Miracle Network.
7. Phi Kappa Psi: The official philanthropy of Phi Kappa Psi is the Boys and Girls Clubs of America and it was founded in 1852 at Jefferson College.
8. Phi Delta Theta: Founded in 1848 on the campus of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio and the official philanthropy of Phi Delta Theta is Amytrophic Lateral Sclerosis Association. Phi Delta Theta is commonly known as Phi Delt and its colors are azure blue and argent white.
9. Tau Kappa Epsilon: Also commonly known as Teke, Tau Kappa Epsilon was founded at Illinois Wesleyan University in 1899. The official philanthropy of Tau Kappa Epsilon is the Alzheimer’s Association and their official flower is the red carnation.
10. Sigma Phi Epsilon: Founded in 1901 at Richmond College, which is now the University of Richmond, and YouthAids is their official philanthropy. Also known as SigEp, they also had all of their nationwide chapters donate to the relief fund after Hurricane Katrina.
Top Sororities of 2010