Travel Home for the Holidays on the Cheap
It’s hard to believe it’s almost that time, but the holiday season is right around the corner. For many students, that means wrapping up the semester and trying to head home for the holidays.
As a student, the key to getting home and enjoying your holiday time with the family is to get there spending as little money as possible.
Spending on a budget is nothing new for most college students, so below are some great ways to get home without breaking the bank.
- Take a bus: Taking the Greyhound is notoriously cheap and you don’t have to worry about doing the driving. Of course, if you are traveling a long distance, you’ll need to plan this out. While taking a bus is very inexpensive, it can also be a time consuming process since you aren’t in charge of the schedule.
- Rent a car: There are some great car rental deals out there for students. This option is going to cost you, but with the right deal, it can still be cheaper than some airfares. You can also save the wear and tear of driving your own car by renting one. If you have friends that are going to the same place or someplace on the way, you can easily split the costs for the rental and you’ll also have additional drivers.
- Take the train: This option isn’t available for all, but if you have an Amtrak stop in your town or close to it, it can be a very relaxing way to go home. You can enjoy the scenery and most trains offer very nice facilities. Often there are some great deals through Amtrak for students. Again, with this option, you don’t have to worry about doing the driving, but you are also not in control of the schedule. If you have a stop close to your home town, your family can probably drive to the train station to pick you up.
- Catch a ride with a friend: Hook up with someone that might be going the same place you are and ask for a ride. If they are driving their own car, this might be your cheapest option. You can simply chip in on gas money and help drive. With this option you might not have total control over the schedule of the trip, but you can likely offer some input. This is also a great way to create some college road-trip memories.
- Book a flight: Flying is seen by many students as too expensive, but if you do some research, you might find renting a helicopter or a flight at a great price. Provided you book on an earlier date. If home is far enough away from college, flying can get you there much faster than any other method, making the convenience worth the extra dollars. If you’d otherwise be driving a long distance by yourself, flying may also be the safer option.
No matter what your preference, be sure to check out all options for rates. You may find that flying becomes cheaper than renting a car or taking the train. Getting the best rate can often depend on your flexibility and making arrangements in advance.
Not sure which form of transportation is cheapest for you? Check out:
The Best Holiday Airline Deals for Students
The Best Holiday Car Rental Deals for Students
The Best Holiday Train Deals for Students